Thursday, March 10, 2016

Special Request

 
 
A very good friend of mine gave me the honor of making a birthday card for her sister, who turns 75 next month.  She wanted something with birds and flowers, since her sister loves both.  I found a few samples on Pinterest and she like this one, so I CAS'd it. (Copy and Share Everything)

The card is Whisper White, cut to 11" x 4.25", then scored and folded in half. 

The background layer is Marina Mist cardstock cut to 4" x 5.25" and run  through my Big Shot with my Tulip (retired) embossing folder.

The small blue floral rectangle in the back, is cut to 2' x 3" and is a scrap piece that I had. 

The white layer with the script is also cut 2" x 3", using a script background stamp is inked it in Basic Grey.

Tip: with a large background stamp it is best to ink the stamp upside down.  Lay the stamp rubber side up on the table and ink it pressing the ink pad onto the stamp.  Carefully lay the cardstock on top, take a larger scrap piece of paper and gently lay it on top. Holding the pieces in place carefully rub all over the surface with your hand, then gently lift it off to avoid smearing.

Taking my Bird Builder punch I cut a strip of the same blue cardstock, about 1-1/2" wide and punched out the bird and the wing. The bird was affixed to the white layer with 3 Dimensionals, and then another Dimensional for the wing. A pearl is used for the eye.

With a lighter piece of strip blue cardstock I punch out three leaves from the same Bird Builder punch. I laid these on the white script piece and took a small piece of tape and taped them in place.  You could also use Glue Dots. 

I was racking my brain on how to incorporate the 75.  I had mentioned to my friend using metallic, number embellishments, but didn't have anything like that.  So I looked in my stash of stickers that my daughter, Stephanie, gave me.  I tried three different versions, one a small mini punch with black numbers, a banner with silver numbers and then since she liked flowers, I tried one using my Petite Petal punch. Voila! I like the flower one the best.  These numbers were also a little more elegant than the others I tried.

After punching out the flower, I placed the numbers on the flower. 

TIP: When placing small items, like pearls, rhinestones, or in this case stickers, I use my Paper Piercer to lift them up and place them.  It's for me it is easier to place them more accurately than using my fingers. 

I poked a hole at the top of the flower with my Paper Piercer on my matt, ran some silver thread through the hole.  (Now this idea came to me in the middle of the night and couldn't wait to try it when I woke up). Placing my flower on a silicone mat,  I took my Crystal Effects and, with a gentle hand, ran a line of Crystal Effects around the outside of my flower, and then filled in the middle, making sure that I got it all the way to the edges.  Now comes the hard part, letting it dry all day!  It gives it a lacquered effect.  I really like the way it turned out. How do you like it?

With some blue satin ribbon I wrapped a piece around the top of the blue cardstock and used scotch tape to secure it in back.  I took a smaller piece and made a bow.  I secured the "75" in place with a couple glue dots, one for the thread and one for the "75" emblem.  I  took the bow, placed some pearls around the middle and then used another glue dot to attach this, covering the top of the silver thread.

The blue layer is then attached to the white cardstock with some Snail.

Along the bottom side of the small blue floral square I ran a line of  Pearl Basic Jewels. 

 Would love to hear your comments!  All the supplies can be purchased in my store. 

Supplies:


Bird Builder Punch #117119
Whisper White Cardstock #100730

Marina Mist Cardstock #119682

Soft Sky #131203

Silver Metallic Thread #138402

Pearl Basic Jewels #119247

Soft Sky Satin Ribbon #134580

Crystal Effects #101055

Paper Piercing Tool #126189

Mini Glue Dots #103683

Stampin' Dimensionals #104430

Silicone Craft Sheet #127853

Big Shot Die Cutting Machine #113439

Paper Piercing Mat #126199

Basic Grey #140932
Snail #104332

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips on Organizing new stamp sets & dies/bundles and using Pinterest

 Not being organized makes me go in a tizzy!  I like to be able to put my hands on a stamp set when I'm creating a card.  Looking for a ...