Monday, March 21, 2016

Happy Birthday Baby!

Wow, today my oldest grandson turns 10!  Hard to believe.  I've always told him he was my birthday present, he was born a day before my birthday.  He's a wonderful, polite and thoughtful young man, and, as you can tell, I am very proud of him.

Now that he's 10, and moving toward adulthood, I need to adjust my ideas of birthday cards for him.  No more baby cards.  So this is what I came up with.


 
 
The blue card base is Night of Navy.  Cut to 11" x 4.25" and scored at 5.5"
The DSP is cut to 5.25" x 4"
The Crushed Curry layer is cut to 5" x 3.75
The white, top layer, is cut to 4.75' x 3.5"


It's made with several stamp sets.  The sentiment and cake are from "Big Day" stamp set, from 2015 Sale-A-Bration (by the way only 10 more days to get in on the FREE products). 

The DSP (Designer Series Paper) is retired paper.  The birthday hat is from this years Sale-A-Bration "Hello" stamp set.

The sentiment is stamped in Night of Navy, other colors are Tangelo Twist, and Crushed Curry. The candles are Night of Navy.

I colored the Celebrate banner and Cake and the birthday cake with my Aqua painters, to make the colors a little softer.  With the stamp pad closed squeeze the middle so a little of the ink is on the cover when it is opened.  Then dip the Aqua Painter in the paint and gently color in the stamped sentiment.

The 3/4" Crushed Curry strip across the bottom is embossed with the Confetti embossing folder, using just the edge of the folder.

  • (TIP: make sure when you run your embossing folders through your Big Shot, that the folded edge goes in first.  If the open ends goes in first, you run the risk of eventually breaking your folder at the fold, because of the pressure put on the folder and pushing the pressure towards the fold.)

The inside, which I forgot to take a photo before I sent it off, has the Ice Cream Cone on the right from Sprinkles of life, stamped in Chocolate Chip, with 3 scoops of ice cream. One scoop in white (with sprinkle) for confetti ice cream, on in brown (chocolate)  and pink (strawberry).  I stamped them first with the Sprinkles of Life ice cream stamp in the corresponding colors and then punched them with the coordinating Tree Builder punch.  The left side I stamped "And a little ice cream" from the "Big Day" stamp set. 

String Bean is getting increasingly harder to buy for so, this year, I sent him a Birthday Coupon for a date with Grandma.  We're going for lunch, just the two of us, his choice of spot, and then go shopping for his birthday gift.  When I made the date with him today, second grandson had to talk to grandma too, to make sure that he get's his date too!  Too cute.  He'll have to wait, his birthday's not until summer.

My daughter, is very brave, homeschooling all three boys. In her blog she calls them String Bean, #1 because he's very thin; #2, Turbo is 5 years old, they call him Turbo because he's always loved running around in circles in the house, he used to be called "Nascar"; #3 he has been called  Chunky Monkey he is 16 months, he may need a new name now that he's walking he's slimming down.  We'll have to see what she comes up with.

Back to the birthday card. Hope I didn't forget something.  If I did, please let me know.  If you every have any questions or comments I would love to hear from you!

Here are the supplies:

Stamp Sets
  • Sprinkles of Life
  • Big Day
  • Hello
Card Stock
  • Whisper White
  • Night of Navy
  • Crushed Curry
Ink:
  • Night of Navy
  • Crushed Curry
  • Tangelo Twist
Confetti Textured Embossing Folder
Tree Builder Punch
Aqua Painters



Sprinkles of Life #139971
Big Day 2015 SAB Retired


Hello (SAB) #141243


Crushed Curry #131199


Whisper White #124302


Night of Navy #100867


Confetti Textured Impressions #140529


Chocolate Chip #126979


Crushed Curry #131173


Night of Navy #126970


Tangelo Twist #133646


Tree Builder Punch #138295








Snail Adhesive #104332

Paper Trimmer #126889

Big Shot #113439

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips on Organizing new stamp sets & dies/bundles and using Pinterest

 Not being organized makes me go in a tizzy!  I like to be able to put my hands on a stamp set when I'm creating a card.  Looking for a ...